Laser Scar Removal Specialist in Augusta, GA
Some scars on the face and other areas of the body can cause embarrassment. At New Skin Medical, we offer non-surgical laser scar removal treatments that can significantly improve the appearance of existing scars. Effective scar removal reduces scar visibility without damaging the surrounding tissue, giving you healthier-looking skin. Dr. Sherman uses the Cynosure® Icon™ laser to minimize the appearance of scars virtually anywhere on the body.
Why Icon™ for Scar Removal?
- Approved by the FDA for the treatment of surgical scars, acne scars, and stretch marks
- Various Microlenses provide customizable treatment options for every patient’s needs
- Treatment sessions are quick (only 15-30 minutes)
- Safely addresses scarred skin without damaging the surrounding skin
- Noticeable results can be seen after just one treatment
- Virtually no downtime afterward
- What Types of Scars Icon™ Can Treat
- Your Treatment Experience
- Surgical scars
- Acne scars
- Stretch marks
- Other signs of damaged, discolored, or aging skin
- Performed in-office for your convenience and comfort
- No anesthesia is required, but a cooling cream is applied to your skin to ensure your comfort during the procedure
- The Icon™ laser is configured with the proper Microlenses for your treatment needs
- The handheld device sends microbeam pulses of light into the skin and removes the outer layer of scarred skin cells
- The pulses of light stimulate collagen formation and the generation of new, healthy skin tissue to replace the scar tissue
- The treatment usually takes less than 30 minutes (depending on the size of the treatment area)
- You will be able to return to normal activities immediately after your procedure
- Several treatment sessions (usually between 3 and 7) may be recommended to achieve the best results
Scar Removal Frequently Asked Questions
What causes scars?
Scars form when the skin becomes injured or damaged. As the natural healing process is trigged, new skin and collagen begin to grow. Sometimes too little or too much collagen forms, disrupting the skin growth and creating a scar.
What results can I expect with laser scar removal?
The innovative Icon™ by Cynosure® laser can improve the appearance of most scars. While scars cannot be completely erased, this treatment can significantly improve the way that scars look and feel. Your treatment plan will be customized to ensure the best possible results for your needs. Using a combination of fractional laser light and the stimulation of your body’s own natural healing response, the Icon™ laser will increase production of new collagen and skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars. After a few treatment sessions, your scar will become significantly smoother, lighter, and less noticeable.
When will I see my results?
Results will become visible just a few weeks after your treatment, and over the following 2-3 months, the appearance of the scar will continue to improve.
What are the side effects with laser scar removal treatment?
Some patients may experience side effects with laser scar removal. These include swelling, sensitivity, skin flaking, or a mild burning sensation. Minimizing sun exposure and using a quality moisturizer can help to protect your skin so that it heals properly after treatment.
How many treatment sessions will I need?
Dr. Sherman may recommend additional treatments beyond your first session to achieve your desired results. He will evaluate your skin type and the characteristics of the scar to determine how many treatments you need (usually between 3 and 7). Based on your customized treatment plan, each laser scar removal treatment session may be spaced 2-4 weeks apart.